Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mumbai

I'm sorry I'm just now posting again but with all the sightseeing and family dinners it's been a little hectic. The good news is that I am enjoying every minute of it, especially the home-cooked meals. Yummy!!!

Yesterday we went down to the "Gateway of India". This 26 meter (85 foot) archway was built to welcome the queen and king of England in 1911. This arch was also the same archway the English troops left through when India finally got their independence. Does anyone know what year India got their independence from England?

From this point we took a boat to Elephanta Island. This island is known for its caves and the 7th-century temples carved out of stone. Who carved these temples and made these amazing structures? No one knows, but whoever they were, they were true artists and left some of the most beautiful sculptures of its time. If you look closely at the pictures below you might recognize some of the "people" in the sculptures, these are some of the Hindu gods.

This island was also full of monkeys. In fact one monkey went up to a woman and scared her so bad that she dropped whatever she was eating. The monkey quickly grabbed the food and had a snack. These are very clever, and not so friendly, monkeys. I took video of the monkeys playing in the trees, but it's not letting me post it. I will have to share my videos when I get back:)

Tonight is the big party for my sister and her husband. I will be sure to take pictures so you can see the people, food and colorful decorations.

Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment