Tuesday, January 3, 2012

First Day

Hello from the crazy city of Mumbai/Bombay. This city is filled with colorful people, multiple religions, lots of sand and sun, and great food. Today we visited a few Hindu temples, a "holy" bathing site and saw a lot of interesting people.

First, the history of this city is very interesting and has ties to the English, just like Jamestown. Mumbai was known as a major trading center for spices, gold and diamonds. Because of this, the English wanted to make sure they made money from these goods, remember how much they wanted to find gold and silver in the " New World". In the late 1500s the East Indian Company was formed in England and sent merchants over to Bombay to set up trade. This charter was the beginning of the English rule in India. Look at the photos below and see if you can spot the picture of the English architecture.

I also visited Hindu temples, Tuesday is a special day of prayer for this religion. Although I could not take pictures of the temple, we did visit a bathing area where people will walk down the steps and bathe in the holy water. If you look closely you might be able to see the Hindu priests.

I also saw school children on field trips, people working and shopping. Overall, it was a colorful and sunny day. In fact, it was 31 degrees Celsius. Can you figure out how many degrees Fahrenheit that is?

Stay tuned....

7 comments:

  1. I think it is about 87 degrees Fahrenheit. Did you get to see your brother-in-law's family?
    -Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ms. Barker!

    We (from Miss DeLong's class) have a few questions:

    1. Do the citizens of India speak English, or did you have to learn a new language? What are the languages spoken where you are? (from Jack and Christian)

    2. What are the names of the food you've been eating? Are there any McDonalds? (from Ben and Ferdin)

    We all hope you are enjoying your time there and get back soon! Christian says hi!

    From, Miss DeLong's class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaby,

    Yes, it is about 87 degrees here and it is winter. That means that during the summer time it gets MUCH warmer, reaching above 100 degrees fahrenheit most days. Good thing there are beaches to cool off in!

    I have met some of my brother-in-law's extended family. This morning we had brunch at one of their houses and went to a dinner party tonight. The big night is Friday night, that is the night of the big party to celebrate my sister and her husband's marriage. I will be wearing the traditional dress of Indian women, it is called a sari.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. DeLong's class,

    Thanks for the great questions! English is spoken in many areas in India thanks to the English rule, but is not the national language. In fact many smaller areas in India have their own language and script ( way of writing). The national language is Hindi, but it is good to know both Hindi and English to get around. My brother-in-law speaks uses three languages here In India to communicate with various people. He is very helpful to have along:)

    Oh the food, one of my favorite parts of the Indian culture. The food is so fresh here because they grow everything locally grown. If I were to name all the dishes I've eaten while here it would take up the whole blog, but I will share a few. Of course you have a variety of curries, but there is so much more. The food is based on the region it is coming from so if you are eating northern Indian food you might eat a heavy curry, where as if you eat southern Indian food you eat more vegetables mixed with spices. My favorite has been southern Indian food.

    There are McDonalds, but I have not been to one. I will say that the one I saw today had a line out the door filled with teenagers. A hamburger meal costs around 100 rupees, which is around $2.00. Now that is a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy says yo and hope you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little girl in the picture, Did you know her?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to everyone who has posted or commented. I miss you guys too, and can't wait to share the details, and videos, of my trip in person.

    I did not know the little girl, but walked past her and her friends playing hopscotch and thought it would be a great picture to send back since most of you guys have played this game too. She was excited for me to take her picture, and was even more impressed when I showed it to her on the iPad.

    Make sure you read both of my posts, "Food and People" and "Mumbai". See you guys soon :)

    ReplyDelete