Thursday, December 29, 2011

Delhi

Before I leave this beautiful city, I will share more about my experiences here. There is too much to share in detail, so I will just highlight some of the best parts.

The other day I visited the Red Fort. This is a walled city-palace built in the 17th century to house the Moghul emperors and their "people". The fort is made out of red sandstone, that is what gives it its color. In the stone and marble you will find designs of flowers made out of jewels. Although some of the jewels are no longer there ( in fact the largest diamond in the world used to be here but the English took it and now you can see it in The Tower of London) with the gardens and fountains you can imagine how amazing it must have looked back then.

In the old city of Delhi you will find a market. Here you can buy anything from paper and books to scarves. You can also get food here such as flour, but how you get the flour is different. Here at the bazaar you bring your corn to the shop and the person in the shop grinds it into flour. We also saw some monkeys at the market, trying to see what they could grab. I have a video of this and hope to post it later this week.

Yesterday I went to see the Taj Mahal in Agra. This is a structure built in honor of one of the emperors wives. It is said that her dying wish was that her husband (Shah Jahan) build something spectacular as a symbol of their love. We don't know if this story is true, but if the Taj Mahal is a sign of love, it must have been beautiful. I've seen many pictures, but nothing prepares you for the sheer magnitude and beauty of this structure, along with the gardens and fountains.

I enjoyed this city and all its culture, but it is time to go to my next stop Jaipur "the Pink City".

Stay tuned.....

3 comments:

  1. Why is Jaipur Called "the Pink City"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! It is called the Pink City because they painted the town pink when the Prince of Wales came to visit the city in 1876. This color is a sign of welcome in India, and a very popular color.

    Happy New Year to you too. Make sure you read my new post! Thanks for the question:)

    ReplyDelete